Thursday, February 13, 2014

The Day of Surgery... and the OTHER Day of Surgery

The day before surgery…  January 21, 2013.  I am on a treadmill in a cardiologist’s office sweating my ass off trying to jog for eight or more minutes while this devil in nurse’s clothing kept raising the angle of the treadmill so I was running up a steeper and steeper hill.  I barely made eight minutes. I mean come on lady! I'm still a 300 pound man who did very, VERY little exercising even though I used to be an athlete... albeit that was 30 years ago. It is understandable why they had to check this, but I was NOT ready or in shape for it.  I did pass and cleared for the surgery but I felt like crap afterward.

Tuesday, January 22, 2013… Surgery day.  We hit the hospital at 5:00am to register.  I am a wreck inside, but I can’t show that.  I want to be strong and show Lea Ann, and everyone else, that I am stronger than this thing.  I can’t let them see how much I am shaking.  How much I am afraid that this may be the last day I see on this Earth.  How afraid I am, period.  I can’t let anyone see that.  I can’t.  I won’t.  I guess that is still denial.  I get taken back into pre-op and Lea Ann is allowed to come with me.  I am very grateful for that.  I am clinging to her mentally more than I have ever clinged to anyone before in my life.  I smile and make jokes and try to lighten the mood in the pre-op room as I get changed into my gown.  The nurse comes in and starts my IV and starts a saline drip to hydrate me a bit more.  She also mentions the doctor was running late because he had a late surgery the night before.  It is now about 7:00 and my surgery was slated to start in less than an hour.  Waiting, waiting, waiting.  8:30…  8:45.  The nurse comes in all apologetic and states that the doctor has canceled the surgery for today and rescheduled it for Friday, January 25, because he was just too tired to be sharp for mine.  Looking back, I am glad he decided to wait so he would be on point for me, but cancel it BEFORE the person is lying in the pre-op room with an IV coming out of his arm for three hours!  I was absolutely livid and pretty much out of my mind.  I was not very nice to the nurse even though it was not her fault.  I regret that. I was not nice to anyone. I regret that too.  They took the IV out and I could not get out of there fast enough.  I actually tore off the wrist bands with my hand.  I’ve not been able to do that before or since.  Later they said they were surprised I even came back.  Honestly, I am too but we were in too deep and too far to start all over again someplace else.  Not to mention the fact that we had already paid our co-pay and I doubted we could or would ever get it back.  Later that day, the doctor called and tried to explain and he heard about it.  He understood, but he also made is stance clear.  This was NOT something that he felt he could do if he was fuzzy or tired at all.  It was an eight to ten hour surgery and he wanted to be totally focused and ready for it.  I understood the why’s, but I was still pissed.  So was Lea Ann.

Friday, January 25, 2013… 5:00am again.  Rescheduled surgery day.  Sitting in the same waiting room seeing the same people and feeling the same feelings I had felt three days ago, but now there was a layer of anger and resentment on top of all that.  I fully expected to be put off again.  If it had happened again, I would not have gone back and might have thought about legal action against the hospital.  Again, we are ushered back into pre-op and I get all gowned up again and they start the IV again.  Again it is 7:00 or so and the nurse comes in again…  I start to see red.  She says the doctor had just arrived and he would be in to talk to us in a little while.  Ok, now I am not so mad.  That anger is getting quickly replaced again by worry about the surgery.  I have gone from angry to scared in the space of about two minutes.  The doctor comes in, apologizes again.  I tell him how angry I was.  He makes me a deal.  Once I get through surgery, he will give me one shot at him.  My initial thought is, “right, I’ll be in no shape to take a shot at anyone.  He knows he’s safe,” but I say ok, smile and shake on it.  I know it will never come to pass.  He talks about what will be happen.  Talks about how I will have incisions on my chest to “loosen everything” AND on my back to remove those loosened parts.  Talks about having to deflate a lung to get the parts out.  At least they will not be cracking my chest, it is all coming out between the ribs.  He also talks about how often Lea Ann will be getting updates and all, then he leaves.  It sounds very in depth and very detailed and I am worried yet again that I won’t be strong enough to make it through.  Lea Ann seems to get this feeling from me and leans down, kisses me, tells me it will all be OK and that she will be here when I get out of surgery.  I make her promise and kiss her back.  I feel a little better.  The anesthesiologist comes in next and explains what will be happening to me and what to expect when I come out.  Basically, I will be a mass of IVs and tubes coming in and out and I will NOT be able to talk.  I will be intubated so they can help me breathe while in surgery due to the deflated lung.  Makes sense, but I don’t like the sound of it.  I am not one that handles being that… exposed…  that vulnerable.  Part of me still doesn’t believe it.  I am getting ready to go into major surgery and I am STILL denying the issue.  How stupid am I?  They tell us that it is time to go to the OR.  Lea Ann leans down to kiss me again and tries to smile and reassure me, but I see the tears.  She is as scared as I am.  I have tears too that I’m trying to hold back, but I can’t remember if I was able to or not.  Probably not.  I smile back and tell her I will see her in a little while.  They then start to wheel me into the operating room, and I am laughing because they are having to use my feet to move things out of the way because my feet are hanging off the end of the gurney.  Once in the operating room, I move onto the operating table.  The anesthesiologist says he is giving me something through the IV for nausea because general anesthetic makes me sick, and also something to relax me a little.  A little?  I would not have been scared of a tornado at that point.  I remember being dizzy and buzz-headed and fuzzy thinking, but I still remember most of it.  Then he said he was going to put me out.  They put the oxygen mask over my face and I felt a cool sting in the shoulder of the arm where the IV was…  and that is the last thing I remember for a couple of days.

Hope everyone is enjoying the read.  Please check back later this weekend for the next installment!  :)

16 comments:

  1. Sounds so much like my husband's journey. He and you were very brave to have this surgery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It takes just as much bravery to sit and wait for those of us that have had the surgery. :) But thank you too!

      Delete
  2. Resonates a lot with me - we are lucky to have been offered the surgery but I did make my peace before I had it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can relate to that. 100% and we were lucky yes!

      Delete
  3. Hi Brian, enjoying the serial….not just because I went through it, but its a very readable and honest account.
    Nick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you are enjoying it Nic. I try hard to be honest and give a decent first person view of what happened with me. Otherwise it doesn't feel real to me. These situations are exceptionally real. :)

      Delete
  4. Thanks everyone. I have been trying to be an honest as I can be. Otherwise what's the point you know? How will being dishonest help anyone? especially in something like this situation that we have all had to go through, whether it be living it or watching a loved one go through it. Right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good job! Although we didn't have the "pleasure" of a rescheduled surgery (don't know if my hubs would have returned!), he certainly went through all you did on the day it finally happened. We both just went into another zone for the week in the hospital and the weeks following. Things are so much better now, almost one year to the day later. Glad we opted for surgery--tough as it was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fully agree, Karen. The zone is a need to get through the situation. There is time later to worry or whatever if needed. But once through it, one really has to center on the healing and not so much the worry. I had a problem with that part actually. I'm a worrier. But without what we did (and I am just over a year it myself) we may not be here now...

      Delete
  6. Brian this is wonderful, I have to tell you when I had my open heart surgery not knowing if they would repair, replace valve or sew me back up for heart transplant (I got the pig valve a long with other heart issues repaired) the nurse told me I cried for my "mommy" as they wheeled me in to the operating room, what a shock me asking for my mom at 46 years old and not remembering anything. I wouldn't be to upset over the reschedule although "wow" that would be a let down for sure, but I have had several things canceled due to others needing that doctor in emergency situations so I look at it as a blessing that the doctor knew his limits. Looking forward to reading more from you :0 keep positive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do my best to stay positive and give off positive vibes. Especially when it comes to this kind of thing! I am a BIG believer in the idea that the mind is a large part of the healing process and that mindset MUST be correct and positive. :) It sounds like your surgery would have rattled anyone. I am glad it was successful! As for crying for mommy, I was too busy laughing becaue I was a battering ram! LOL

      Delete
  7. Brian, your story makes me remember so much about my surgery but fortunately I did not have the problems you did with the cancellation. I do remember not being worried about the surgery until just shortly before they took me in to the operating room. I was worried then, especially after saying goodbye and see you later to my family knowing full well it could be the last time I saw them. They put an epidural in my back first thing and then laid me back down on this table, starting strapping my arms on to a couple of slats that swing out from the table and then I woke up over 8 hours later with tubes sticking out everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can totally relate there! When I came out of mine, I felt like a version of a habitrail (if you remember those) with so many tubes and wires in and out!

      Delete
  8. I am so interested to be able to read your story. My husband never really talked about what he remembered - he had a bowel obstruction that was corrected surgically the same day he had the EC surgery and never recovered from this. He was on the ventilator for a couple of weeks and then had a tracheostomy which also prevented his talking most of the 4 months he was hospitalized. I like how honest your doctors were and how freely they talked about your surgery to you. When Scott had the diagnostic endoscopy, a nurse came in and whisked away the photos of Scott's tumor when she saw me looking at it! What was the big secret? Because I was not the patient, probably, all this HIPPA crap.

    ReplyDelete

I try read and respond to all the comments that come in. It may take a bit, but I do try my best! :)